Wednesday, November 7, 2007

On the Black Dahlia

Brian de Palma is one of my favorite directors. He has some magic to show audience how the main character tries to deal with his or her desperate situation and how he or she fails to do that. For example, John Travolta did everything to save the ex-wife of this director but she was eventually killed in Blowout. I guess that happened on 4th of July with those fireworks, which makes me so sad. I realized that this director knows how to use that kind of contrast in the tragedy.

I expected the similar thing to work in this 2006 film. But neither Scarlett Johansson nor Hilary Swank could be femme fatale. Maybe one of them was supposed to be someone similar to the main role of Chinatown. Aaron Eckhart and Josh Hartnett succeeded in representing the emotional Fire and the not-so-cold-blooded Ice respectively.

The Black Dahlia on DVD

No comments: